POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 09:59:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: Slashdolt
Date: 16 Apr 2003 14:04:16
Message: <3e9d9b20$1@news.povray.org>
> I give the judging process a lot more credit than you, but agree that
> there will occasionally be some really special entry whose qualities are
> recognized only after closer inspection than the flood of IRTC images
> allows.

I get that same feeling.  Additionally, I really don't feel very qualified
to comment or even judge a scene very well.  But by that same token, I would
imagine that many of us have that same feeling, so I do the best I can.
I'll freely admit that many abstract works will likely fly over my head.  I
remember seeing a famous painting called "Red Square" (I don't know the
artist), and to me, it was simply that: a red square.  Does that mean that
it was without artistic merit?  No.  But it was lost on me.

For most of my creations, I try to attain realism.  But, I generally don't
want it to be so real that someone would believe that it's a photograph.
For me the best comment would be something like, "It looks so real...  But
that simply can't be!"  Surrealistic?  Hyper-realistic?  I'm not real good
with those terms.

Anyway, because of my own biases, I'm sure I would tend to judge other
images according to the level that I would like to attain.  e.g.  An
excellent model with poor textures, will get a lower score than a less
complex model with excellent textures.  Even so, I try to balance any known
bias that I might have, trying to realize what the artist set out to
accomplish.  But that is at best a difficult thing to do.

--
Slash